VIDEO LINK: youtu.be/AfX7SavSJow or vimeo.com/370378341
GOOGLE DRIVE ALBUM #826 – has sketches & drawings for Videos #820 thru #826
(This page last updated 12/26/2019)
This page contains the MTH publication “Adding a DCS/DCC Switch to a Railking Engine”
As I understand it:
- Proto 1 locomotives were “sound-only”.
- Proto 2 locomotives added DCS capability, but did not run on DCC.
- Proto 3 locomotives were introduced around 2011, and added the capability to run on DCC.
- All Proto 3 Premier locomotives have the DCC/DCS switch.
- The Proto 3 Railking locomotives from about 2011 to 2014 had the DCC/DCS switch.
- The Proto 3 Railking locomotives after 2014 no longer have the DCC/DCS switch — see below Fig. 2.
- The Railking locomotives made after 2014 still have the DCC/DCS decoders, but in order to run the loco on DCC, you have to either add the switch yourself, or cut a jumper wire inside the loco.
- If you cut that jumper wire, the loco will then run on DCC, but not on DCS.
- Adding the switch allows you to essentially “disconnect” the jumper wire to run on DCC, or to “re-connect” that jumper wire to run on DCS.
Adding DCS/DCC Switch to Proto 3 Railking Locos: